Happy Tuesday Ya’ll! Today was a much better day weather-wise compared to the insane storm we had last night in Toronto. I went through the pictures today online and the flooding was just insane, I don’t think I have ever seen that much rain and damage in this city before. Check out this awesome guy who took his canoe out around the city lol amazing.
Luckily I didn't get stranded on the subway and made it to the gym right before the storm hit. When I went into the change room after my gym class part of the roof had actually caved in and there was some flooding. It was a mess! I also left my umbrella at work that day and so I walked home with a grocery bag over my head. Needless to say I was completely drenched. Such a rainy summer this year!
When I got home I had a cookie craving and went straight to pinterest. I ended up finding some vegan chocolate coconut cookies that I refused to ‘pin’ for later. I wanted to make them right away and that's exactly what I did. I had most of the ingredients on hand and only had to pick up a few things from the bulk barn. I am not a vegan but I do like to test out vegan recipes because I know they are much healthier than recipes filled with butter and egg. I've tasted vegan cookies before that were absolutely disgusting (cardboard/bland) and others that were really delicious. The ingredient list in this recipe looked really great so I knew that they would at least turn out decent. Boy was I wrong…they didn't just turn out decent, they turned out FREAKIN FANTASTIC. They turned out moist and really flavourful, they reminded me of a banana muffin but in a cookie form. These make for a good breakfast cookie or just an afternoon snack. You can experiment with these by changing up the nuts or omitting the chocolate chips, whatever you fancy! Definitely my new favourite go-to vegan cookie recipe!
Coconut Chocolate Chip Vegan Cookies
makes 18 to 22 cookies
1 1/2 cups white flour, organic
1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted (measure before melting)
*add an extra Tbsp of oil for extra rich & buttery cookies
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet and/or vegan)
1 banana, mashed
1/3 cup warm water + 1 tsp flax seeds (whisked and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken a bit)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
1/2 - 3/4 cup walnuts, raw
note: I use *unrefined* virgin coconut oil for a more coconut-y flavor
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, lightly grease or line baking sheet.
2. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon. Toss.
3. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave - just a few seconds should soften.
4. Combine the flax/water mixture with the oil and vinegar and the mashed banana. Slowly fold this mixture into the dry mixture. Make sure it is not too hot of it will made the dough chewy.
5. Fold in the walnuts and coconut. Last, fold in the chocolate chips.
6. If you want perfectly round cookies, you should fridge the dough for 5-10 minutes and scoop into balls. But I just like to add the dough as is in semi-messy rough balls. This makes for more bumpy, bubbly cookies!
7. Cook for 15 minutes or until the edges brown and darken a bit. Cool. Serve. Store in the fridge or freezer if not eating within a day.