Crofter’s has been around for over 20 years specializing in organic fruit spreads, conserves and jellies and is currently the largest organic jam manufacturer in North America. Owner’s Gerhard and Ghabi Latka founded Crofter’s in 1989 and are passionate about producing high quality spreads using fresh harvested organic fruits and heritage fruit varieties such as Senga Sengana strawberries, Willamette raspberries, and Morello cherries.
I like that Crofter’s uses cane sugar in their super fruit and premium spreads and white grape juice concentrate for their just fruit spreads making them a much healthier choice compared to a lot of the other jams out there.
I received jar’s of the Apricot, Morello cherry and Strawberry Premium Spreads and the North American Super Fruit Spread which contains wild blueberries, wild cranberries, red grapes and morello cherries aka antioxidant overload!
My favourite of the 4 spreads was the strawberry. It was by the far the best strawberry jam I have ever had. It wasn't too sweet and you could taste the natural flavour of the fruit. The texture was thick but not too gooey, it was perfect to spread on toast or to use in these Pb & Jam Thumbprint cookies I made. The Superfruit spread was very dark and rich and had a tart taste to it. I could really taste the grape in it which was really nice and the spread was a little less thick than the premium jams but still very spreadable.
Try out Crofters: You can try a wide variety of other flavours available at Crofter’s by entering my contest below. Two lucky winners will win 2 vouchers’ each for free jars of Crofter’s Organic Spreads! Contest is open to Canadian and US residents.
Want to buy it: Crofter’s is available at a wide variety of grocery stores throughout Canada and the US. You can use the store locator guide here to find out the closest location near you. You can also purchase them online at: http://well.ca/brand/crofters-organic.html
Use it in a recipe: Crofter's website offers a ton of delicious recipes using their spreads. You can find their recipes here or you can try out my yummy PB & Jam Thumbprint cookies.
PB & Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 stick and 3 tbsp of butter, softened
- 2/3 cup of cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 jar of your favourite Crofter’s spread
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together butter and sugar until combined and smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Slowly incorporate the flour and mix well until combined.
- Roll dough into small balls and flatten out onto a greased baking sheet. If the mixture is too crumbly just add a bit more butter and roll the dough into your hands to warm it up. Press your thumb into the centre of each flattened cookie and fill it with the jam.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are starting to brown. Let cool on a wire rack as you prepare the peanut butter/oil mixture.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, heat peanut butter for 15 seconds or until melted. Add in the olive oil and stir.
- Drizzle the warm peanut butter over the cookies using the edge of a knife or fork.