Happy Valentine’s Day! I haven’t had a chance to make any heart-shaped treats today but I did make a delicious Coconut Cream Pie this weekend! The pie had the most perfect hint of coconut flavour and all the rest was just creamy homemade whipped cream goodness. I totally had 3 servings of this pie, it was impossible not to! The only thing that I messed up on was not letting it chill long enough. It ended up being more like a sloppy pudding pie, but it still tasted fantastic! The toasted coconut is an essential, do not skip on this!
What are you lovelies doing for Valentine’s Day?
Coconut Cream Pie
1 package coconut pudding mix (I used Shirriff)
2 cups coconut milk (1 can = 2 cups)
1 cup whole milk
½ cup toasted coconut
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp coconut extract
1 ½ cup graham cracker crumbs
6 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a bowl and stir until combined. Pour mixture into a pie dish and press firmly. Bake crust for about 10 minutes and let it cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine pudding mix, coconut milk and whole milk and whisk until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the toasted coconut and stir for about 1 minute. (save about 2 tbsp to sprinkle on top pie)
- Remove pudding from heat and let cool completely
- In the bowl of an electric mixer pour the cream and beat on medium for about 3-4 minutes until the cream begins to thicken. Add in the sugar and extract and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. You can do this by hand with a whisk; adjust your beating time (add on another 5-8 minutes).
- Pour cooled pudding mixture on top of the pie crust and spread evenly with a spatula. Pour the whipped cream on top and spread out evenly. Garnish with toasted coconut and let chill in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours or until firm.