Hi Everyone! As promised, I am posting the delicious coconut banana bread recipe I made this past weekend. I always end up having overripe bananas in the kitchen and my favourite way to use them is in banana bread or banana chocolate chip muffins. I usually make a recipe my mom gave me but its definitely not the healthiest banana bread recipe out there. However, I also don’t want a banana bread recipe that is overly healthy and tastes like cardboard. Luckily this one is right smack in the middle and is DELICIOUS, moist and quite nutritious! There is no butter in this recipe and instead of using whole eggs; you’ll only need the whites. I added walnuts to the recipe for added protein and well because I feel like banana bread is lost without some sort of nut in it, does that make me a nut for thinking this way? I hope NUT. Yep, I fully admit I’m a nerd.
One of the best things about baking banana bread is the exquisite smell that lingers through your house! I think someone needs to invent one of those glade plug in scents that emulates the scent of fresh baking banana bread! Kind of a genius idea, right?!
I’ve had a slice of this bread almost every day since I’ve baked it and I have another 3 ripe bananas in my kitchen to make a second batch with. I think I really love this recipe because of the added coconut that we all know I’m fixated on at the moment! I promise my next recipe will not contain anything even remotely coconut-related. It’s going to be broccoli soup!
Coconut Banana Bread
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 Large ripe bananas, mashed
½ cup + 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
½ tablespoon olive or coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup of brown sugar
3 egg whites
¼ cup plain greek yogurt
¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut almond milk or light coconut milk
¼ cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate large mixing bowl combine mashed bananas, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add egg whites and mix together until smooth and then add in the oil.
- Slowly incorporate the flour and combine until moist.
- Add in the greek yogurt and coconut milk and combine.
- Lastly fold in ½ cup of coconut and walnuts (if using) into batter.
- Pour into greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of coconut on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and the bread is golden brown.