With this month being dedicated to healthy eating, I decided to try out the ever so famous P.F Chang’s Lettuce Wraps. Now I don’t even know what a PF Chang lettuce wrap tastes like because there are no locations in Canada BUT I went with it anyway. The version I found is clearly much healthier and I did make some small changes to the recipe. The outcome was full of delicious flavour and left me wanting to eat the whole batch. I actually preferred the lettuce as the wrap because of the crunchiness, so good! This meal was so easy to make and only took me about 30 minutes. The original recipe I found at iowagirleats uses ground chicken but I went with ground turkey instead. I didn't have chopped peanuts on hand for the garnish but I really wish I did, it would've made the meal absolutely perfect….next time! Overall I was pleased with the outcome of this meal and even without the carb's, it was super satisfying (I ate 3 moderately filled wraps) and I’m happy to say that it’s going to become a staple in the kitchen!
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
(Modified version of P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps)
- 1lb ground turkey (or you can use ground chicken)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- salt & pepper, a dash of each
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch nob fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce (or more if you like it hotter)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 can sliced water chestnuts, drained & chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped (didn't have this on hand)
- 10-12 large outer lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
1. Heat a large, non-stick skillet on high. Add turkey, onion, salt & pepper, and cook until turkey is nearly done, stirring often to break up the meat. Add in garlic, ginger and red pepper.
2. While the turkey is cooking, heat sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar and chili sauce in a microwavable safe bowl for 20 seconds. Stir until sauce is combined well.
3. Add sauce to skillet and stir to combine. Add green onions and water chestnuts and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes until chestnuts are heated through.
4. Serve with cold lettuce leaves and sprinkle peanuts in each wrap.