Can we talk about canned tuna for a sec? I have an issue with eating canned tuna but can totally pop them into these patties no problem. But if I were to open a can of tuna and plop it on my salad, it would gross me out. Does this make me weird? Maybe so, but we all have our oddities! That being said, canned tuna comes in handy for these patties and well that’s about the only time I use canned tuna.
My sis and I made these on the weekend and used black beans this time instead of the usual chickpeas. I must say that I like the black bean version much better. What I really like about these patties is that you don’t have to use egg to bind the mixture together! The water from the canned tuna, plus the small amount of bread crumbs and flour really help to shape these patties well. You can fry them up in some olive oil and then top them with tzatziki or sour cream, or any sauce really. They are quite delicious and healthy and QUICK, kind of the perfect meal!
Tuna and Black Bean Patties
(makes about 8 to 10 small patties)
- 1 can of solid white tuna with water
- ½ can of black beans
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp flour
- Dash of hot sauce (or more if you like the spice)
- Salt, pepper and oregano to taste
- Combine the canned tuna with water and black beans in a large bowl and start breaking apart the mixture using a fork. Mash until mixture is loosely broken up.
- Add in spices and hot sauce and mix well.
- Add bread crumbs and flour and mix until evenly coated. If mixture is too wet add more breadcrumbs.
- Shape patties to your preferred size using your hands.
- Heat a large frying pan with canola oil or olive oil to medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add in patties and cook for about 3 minutes per side or until browned.
- Serve with a side of salad and a garlic or sour cream dipping sauce!
Healthy meal in less than 15 minutes!