Happy New Year Everyone!
Its 2013 and what better way to ring in the new year than no-bake energy bites! I found this recipe on gimme some oven and tweaked it a little bit to make the bites extra healthy. This recipe is full of nutritious ingredients and you have the option of adding or omitting ingredients to your preferred liking. I plan to keep a large container of them for the week and snack on them when I’m craving something sweet. They also make a great pre-workout snack and are great to stash at your desk for the ever grueling afternoon slump.
No-bake Energy Bites
- 1 cup dry oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp chocolate flavored protein powder (I use Vega One)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly using your hands.
2. Cover with saran wrap and chill in the fridge for about 35 minutes.
3. Once chilled, roll mixture into small balls (size is up to you)
4. Store in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Other healthy ingredients you can add:
- chia seeds
- any nut butter
- chopped cranberries, raisins or dates
- cinnamon, pumpkin spice
- wheat germ instead of flaxseed
- agave nectar instead of honey