Along with spending money, I have been eating so much lately. I can’t help but nibble at food when it’s constantly surrounding me. I don’t have that little thing they call will-power, especially when it comes to chocolate. Basically you know you’re a chocolate addict when the main dessert for Christmas is a lovely homemade coconut cake but since there’s no chocolate in it, you decide to turn into the crazy chocolate lady and whip up a quick choco cupcake to add to the table. I found a fresh jar of nutella in the cupboard and quickly went to my pinterest board to find some nutella recipes. I found a super easy self-frosting nutella cupcake recipe and to the kitchen I went.
These cupcakes were very easy to make and not too many ingredients involved. They were done in about 20 minutes and the whole house smelled of NUTELLA. I dug into one right away and it was delicious! Very warm and fluffy and full of nutella. I wasn't a huge fan of the cupcake itself as it lacked flavor. Next time I would probably try a different cupcake recipe but still use the nutella as the frosting. It really did cure my chocolate fix and it also put me over the top and into a temporary food coma. I need to hit a gym ASAP :)
Self-Frosting Nutella Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola or mild vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup Nutella, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 325F. In a medium bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the butter mixture and beat on low speed just until combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 paper-lined muffin cups.
- Warm up the nutella in a microwavable bowl for 10 to 15 seconds. This will help the nutella to drop onto the cupcakes better. Drop a spoonful of nutella on top of each, and swirl through the batter with the tip of a bamboo skewer or knife.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until springy to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes about 10 to 12 cupcakes.
adapted from oneordinaryday