Dip of the Day.Wednesday, October 19, 2011
1/2 whole garlic bulb, cut in half
1 large red pepper, cut in half, seeds removed
1 19oz can white beans, rinsed and drained
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil, more for brushing
1/2 cup basil, chopped finely
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Drizzle the top of the garlic bulbs with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Wrap garlic in some tin foil and roast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until fragrant and tender. When the garlic has cooled, squeeze out the garlic cloves and set aside.
3. Increase temperature of oven to 500 degrees or broil.
4. On a cookie sheet, place red pepper and drizzle it with olive oil. Make sure each pepper half is well coated in olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Char the pepper halves in the oven, turning them until the skin is completely charred. Place peppers in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. The steam will loosen the skins. When the peppers are cool, scrape the skins off with a knife and set aside.
5. In a food processor, combine the beans with the reserved red peppers, roasted garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Process until the mixture is smooth.
6. Add the basil and pulse until it is mixed into the dip.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.