Bruleed Steel Cut Oats.Sunday, September 11, 2011
- 3-½ cups Water
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ cups Skim Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- ½ Tablespoons Turbinado Sugar
Preparation Instructions1. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the steel cut oats and and salt. Stir.
2. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes. Make sure you stir the oats occasionally so they don’t stick to the pan.
3. When the oats start to thicken, at about 30 minutes, add in the milk and vanilla. I think the milk makes the oats creamier. Stir the oats, milk, and vanilla together and cook for a few more minutes.
4. To make bruleed oats: Put the oats in a bowl, sprinkle with brown sugar and turbinado sugar. With a creme brulee torch, fire the top of the oats until the sugar is crystallized. If you don’t have a torch, you can do this under the oven broiler. Just watch them so they don’t burn. It should only take a minute or two.
You can add additional toppings if you wish. Cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, almonds, etc.